Section

Chief Minister Hemant Soren has officially cancelled the JSSC-CGL examination and all TDPL-conducted tests since 2014, yielding to student demands for a transparent CBI probe into alleged exam fraud.
Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the cancellation of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination late on Monday, marking a significant concession to hundreds of students protesting at Ranchi’s Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium.
The decision followed a four-hour emergency Cabinet meeting held 24 days after the protest began. Soren declared that all examinations and results published by TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL), a blacklisted agency, are nullified. A committee led by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal will now recommend reforms for examination conduct in the state.
Ranchi’s Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium saw mixed emotions as students reacted to the announcement. While hundreds celebrated the cancellation of the 2025 JSSC-CGL exam, with some moved to tears, the leadership of the JPSC-JSSC Reform Manch clarified that the agitation would not cease immediately. Ravindra Paswan, the protest leader, emphasized that their primary demand for a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the alleged irregularities remains unfulfilled.
“This is the first step and first victory; our protest will continue until the CBI inquiry takes place into the irregularities. The demand for a CBI inquiry has not been accepted yet,” Paswan stated, indicating that while a major battle was won, the struggle for systemic transparency continues.
Addressing the press, Soren explained that the cancellation was necessary to address flaws that would not have arisen had previous Standard Operating Procedures been strictly followed. He highlighted that the state government has enacted stringent laws against exam malpractice and is implementing new reforms to ensure transparency. Soren noted that investigations by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) and the Crime Investigation Department (CID) have uncovered shocking facts involving a complex network of companies.
“Investigations by both the SIT and the CID have revealed several shocking facts. Since the investigation is ongoing, it is not possible to disclose every detail openly,” Soren said. He confirmed that the CID is tasked with investigating all examinations conducted from 2014 to the present.
The political fallout has been swift, with reactions spanning from congratulations to demands for accountability. Jharkhand Loktantrik Krantikari Morcha leader Devendra Nath Mahto, who had been on a hunger strike for 16 days, congratulated both the students and the Chief Minister. However, he stressed that the masterminds behind the corruption must be apprehended.
“Congratulations to all the protesting students, and I also congratulate CM Hemant Soren, who listened to our demands. The most important thing is that the investigation should be conducted meticulously and every corrupt individual involved be apprehended,” Mahto said.
The Leader of the Opposition in the Jharkhand Legislative Assembly, Babulal Marandi, also congratulated the students via X, acknowledging their unwavery resolve. However, Marandi criticized the government’s initial reluctance to order a CBI investigation. He stated that the cancellation was just one step and demanded a fair inquiry into the alleged involvement of Soren’s friend Vinod Singh, former JSSC officials, and the Chief Minister’s residence.
Marandi added that the allegations regarding Minister Sudivya Kumar Sonu and the JMM district president of Giridih must also be investigated. “Until a CBI investigation happens, the deep-seated ‘leprosy’ in this entire system will not be cleansed,” he warned, urging decisive action to prevent the future sale of jobs to youth.
Meanwhile, law enforcement agencies have intensified their probe into the alleged irregularities. The CID conducting the investigation carried out searches at the office of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission. Sources indicated that the CID also questioned JSSC Secretary Sudhir Gupta, with a separate team searching Gupta’s residence in Ranchi.
In a significant development, the CID arrested B.N. Ram, the Personal Secretary to former JPSC member Ajita Bhattacharya. Additionally, former JPSC Chairman L. Khiangte was sent to judicial custody following 48 hours of interrogation, having been arrested on August 10, 2026.
The cancellation of the JSSC-CGL exam and the subsequent legal actions reflect the government's attempt to restore faith in the recruitment process. While the immediate pressure from student protests has led to the annulment of specific exams, the ongoing CID investigations and the call for a CBI probe suggest that the issue extends beyond a single examination. The formation of the committee under Amitabh Kaushal aims to address structural flaws, but political pressure remains high for a thorough, independent inquiry to dismantle the network of companies and officials allegedly involved in the scandal. As the protest continues, the state government faces the challenge of balancing swift administrative reforms with a transparent legal process to satisfy both the students and the public.
Aug 17, 2026 14:29 UTC
USS Abraham Lincoln Crew Faces Mental Health Crisis During Extended Deployment
Aug 17, 2026 04:30 UTC
Trump Reduces Joint Military Exercises With South Korea
Aug 17, 2026 02:52 UTC
Kushner Meets Hamas in Egypt Over Rejected Gaza Ceasefire Plan
Aug 16, 2026 20:37 UTC
Kushner Mediates Gaza Ceasefire Amidst Escalating US-Iran Conflicts
Aug 18, 2026 00:16 UTC
Hemant Soren Cancels JSSC-CGL Amid Ongoing Agitation